Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Adventures in Ireland




Shannon and I were very fortunate to embark on two honeymoons. Our first one, we went to Vegas. We left the day after the wedding. It was a blast, Sin City is always a fun time to get away and be silly. We came back three days later, were home for barely a week and a half, and then we were getting on the plane to head to a 13 day adventure in Ireland.

Many ask, "Why Ireland?" Well, Shannon and I have always wanted to go. I have always wanted to venture to that part of the world, and Ireland was one of the countries on my "bucket list" that I wanted to go to (next up on the list: Italy, France, Greece, England and Scotland, lol!!!). Also, as you can probably tell by my husband's name, Shannon is Irish and Scottish (also American Indian, phew!) and it had been a life long dream of his to visit at least one of those countries.

Shannon and I decided to do a tour, since we had no clue about anything over there and we wanted everything to be planned and done upfront. We flew to New Joisy (lol) and from there, flew to Dublin. I must say, we didn't sleep for 24 hours. One, due to a poor baby who was miserable on the airplane, and two, we were just TOO excited.

We arrived in Dublin and met with our group at the airport. I realized the majority of our group were elderly people. Since we never been on a tour, we didn't realize this :). I remember feeling "Oh dear...". I of course have NOTHING against older people of course, but we didn't know how the group dynamic would be. I feel almost ashamed for having that thought, because I LOVED our group. Everyone was so kind, endearing, loving and were thrilled that we were newlyweds. Throughout our trip, some other married couples that were married 50+ years gave us a lot of wedding advice. Too sweet!! There was actually another honeymooning couple our age and a girl our age there as well, which was also super fun. Our tour guide Mick was fantastic and we made a friend in him as well. He is a true Irishmen and he loves his country dearly. We left our honeymoon feeling fully informed on our new favorite country.
Well, I won't bore you with all the nitty gritty details but we started in Dublin and ended back in Dublin. In 13 days we traveled the ENTIRE coastline of Ireland, stopping in at so many cities. people ask: "Is it really that green over there like in the movies?" "In the pubs do people slosh their pints around with their arms around each other and sing pub songs?" "Are the irish people extremely hospitable?" and the answers to that are all YES YES YES!! Our trip was amazing and everything about Ireland you see in pictures and in the movies, it is really like that. I will never forget this trip. It was the most fabulous thing Ihave done (besides the wedding of course) and it was a honor to partake in a beautiful culture and be able to see a new part of the world. SOOOOO AWESOME!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment