Sunday, February 23, 2014

Maternity fashion part 1

::My last post was emotional and heavy. I am so thankful for kind and sweet friends who emailed/shared comments with me regarding that post. You guys are amazing! Now, I think we should have something nice and light!::

Ever since becoming pregnant, I was super freaking excited to dress and show off my bump! As many of you know, I love love love fashion. I could spend hours putting together outfits and accessories together. If I wasn't teaching, I sure would love to be a stylist, or do something in the fashion industry. I don't think that I am some amazing fashionista, but I sure do love me some clothes and accessories!

Being pregnant in the fall and winter is interesting. Certain pieces can make you look frumpy or they aren't flattering. I wanted to dress fashionably, yet I wanted to be comfortable. I also didn't want to dress like this person (sorry if you like this):


AND  I certainly didn't want to dress like this moron, I mean, dress like Kim K:
     No, this is not cute Kim. Bye. 

So, I headed over to my local maternity store, and quickly saw that some of the clothes weren't that cute  and it was so flippin' costly!

One gem that I learned quickly. HIT UP internet sales and Target sales racks! I was really fortunate that my friend Sadie gave me a heads up on a huge Kohl's online sale. Thanks to that, I was able to buy a ton of needed staples without breaking the bank. You only wear maternity clothes for a small span of time, it's not worth it to me to spend oodles of money. I spent (besides shoes since I already had them or they were a gift), (no joke) only $120 on everything: jeans (x2), leggings (x2), some tops (x4), tights (x1) and dresses (x2). I did good!!

So, part 1 of this blog is just simply going over my favorite staples that have carried me thus far in my pregnancy. One thing that I got lucky was I still fit in almost all of my tops, thank goodness. Some are getting harder to wear than others, thanks to my belly getting so big. I will say if you are pregnant in spring/summer, this board won't apply, however, I think it's good to know. Here is my lovely board from polyvore:


Going in order from left to right...
1. Kohl's and Old Navy full panel maternity bootcut jeans. OMG. I can't sing enough of its praises. Best jeans hands down! I can't stress enough the full panel jeans. The mid panels cut into my skin, which makes for a very grumpy preggo. Get full panel yo.
2. Kohl's long sleeve tees- I have about 2, in white and black. The perfect shirt to wear solo or layer.
3.Old Navy striped tanks. Love these! The ruched sides helped my ever growing belly and they are just so dang comfy. They are also the perfect tank to layer.
4. Leggings and tights...I can go on for dayyyysssss about these two vital pieces. I got 2 pairs of leggings, and a set of maternity tights. Make sure your tights and leggings are maternity. Seriously. Regular girl tights/leggings hurt like a mother trucker in the tummy area.
5. Basic black dress- I had this dress in gray and a black wrap dress. Perfect essentials for the working preggo. They are extremely versatile which can be paired with the perfect statement necklace or cardigan.
5. Boots- As you will see in part 2, I have had a penchant for knee high boots. I wore them all the time. I already had two tan pairs plus a black pair so I was set.
6. Flats- When I got pregnant, I wore heels up until I was 5 weeks pregnant. I then decided to retire my heels. This made me so sad, as I am obsessed with high heels. However, I am such a klutz and I was deathly afraid of falling. So, my mom took me to the shoe store Naturalizer, to get a pair of "sensible shoes", I wasn't thrilled, but ended up finding a pair of brown and black flats that were perfectly cute but had good support and were comfy. Ladies, I can't stress this enough, especially if you are on your feet all day like me. Get something that will keep you safe and provide stability!

I think you can still be pregnant and be fashionable. Its all about making wise choices in what you invest in!
Till next time loves,

No comments:

Post a Comment