Wednesday, November 2, 2011

rose colored glasses

Random. 'Nuff said. Just go with it. It will make sense.

One of the things I love as a teacher, is how a lot of my kids are so innocent and look at life with rose colored glasses. Case in point from my life:

As a little girl, I absolutely loved Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz. I was  little when I saw the movie (five to be exact) and thought at the time, she was really Dorothy, and not Judy, LOL!

I loved how she was so sweet, how she rocked her dress and red slippers, and her adorable dog. She was awesome.

As a I got a little older, I clearly and obviously learned she wasn't really Dorothy, HAHA. However, I really thought she was like her Dorothy character in real life, darling and sweet, unassuming and most of all innocent. That she led this absolutely charming life, with a pup in tow.

However when I was in high school, I read her actual bio and I came to learn that while she is hailed as the top 10 actresses of all time in Hollywood, she suffered many personal tragedies, failed marriages, a forced abortion (so she could keep working, thanks to her mama), was placed in a sanitarium,  had horribly low self esteem, tried to commit suicide, and eventually died of a drug overdose.

I remember feeling like the "glasses" came off and I saw her for who she truly was, and it made me sad. As we get older and transition into being an adults (some earlier than others), we learn the hard realities of life and that things are not always as they seem, and honestly, that is depressing.

 I sometimes yearn to be 5 again and believe everything is perfect and all is right with the world.

While I for sure can't complain about my life and am grateful for all that God has given me, it would be nice to be a kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment