Sunday, August 8, 2010

A possible venture??



Last friday, I got to sub in a sixth grade class. Everytime I sub, I like to do a 10 minute question and answer time with the class so they can get to know me a little bit. Usually, questions range from "how old are you?" "what is your favorite food?" What is your favorite movie?" you get the idea.
Anywho, one girl asked" what would you do if you weren't a teacher?"
Hmm, good question, little girl, good question. I felt like I couldn't answer. I am not sure, don't know why I couldn't answer. In this time of where many have lost jobs or have just been down on our luck, many reinvent themselves. Maybe this is my time. That little girl's question stuck with me. Currently, I have a huge obsession with cocktail rings. It sort of annoys my husband, because when I fall in love with something, I get large quantities of it, haha. A few months ago to save moolah ,I started making my own rings. I would go to thrift shops, buy outrageous earrings, take off the backs and glue 'em on a ring. I knew that I did good when I would get multiple compliments on them wherever I went, and many would ask where to buy them.


Many were shocked to learn that I made them. It made me think, perhaps I should open my own etsy shop and sell my wares. I am not sure though. I'm not a business lady but a teacher. However, at this point, I think I want to start something new. No, I am not quiting my day job, but just venturing on another small path while the "royalty" at the Lodi Unified make up their minds on what to do with the rest of us laid of teachers. ANyway, I would post some pics but iphone is just not wanting to upload em all...stay tuned!! Let me know what you think, if I should do this!!

2 comments:

  1. Funny you posted this...you were on my mind the other day. I was thinking I need a Personal Shopper, or someone to take me clothes shopping so I wouldn't waste so much time. You popped into my head and I wondered if you thought of doing something besides teaching...like you said, using this time to reinvent yourself. So...Start by making some rings (and other jewelry) and having a home party. Either host it yourself, or have some kind of host reward for someone else who hosts it (free ring just for having party, etc). This would give you an idea of the interest in the product and how much to charge for things. If you need a first hostess, I'd do it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you have do have loose, but to gain. I say do it. You have to take a stepof faith. How do you think other artist do it? You will never know. Let me know when you areup and running I would love to check it out. On a side note I am working on my shop it's really fun!!!

    ReplyDelete