Wednesday, February 4, 2015

if you are still on the fence...

The other day, I was chatting with a sweet coworker/ friend of mine about kids. She was wondering how I do it in the mornings, dropping off a baby at preschool, driving 2 towns to work and still making it before the school bell.





She shared with me her fear of having kids, because quite frankly, her life was pretty decent how it is. Her fear is how life will dramatically change after having kids. She wondered if it was worth giving up her "freedom" so to speak.





As she was describing all this, it hit me hard because she reminds me of myself pre-Rowan. Before kids, we had a whole lot of fun. Brunches, going to the movies every week, weekly date nights, bar hopping/dancing in downtown with friends, wine tasting trips, spontaneous trips were basically our MO before Rowan. As most of y'all know I was extremely resistant to having kids. I had  LOUSY, TERRIBLE attitude about kids.  I am sure I offended some of my friends with kids because of my attitude. A lot of it was because I was so afraid of the massive life change.





A few days after our 4th wedding anniversary, I found out I was pregnant. We had barely tried for a month. I remember sitting in the bathroom laughing and crying at the same time. That's when I fell madly in love with the life that was within me.





Let me be straight. Don't rush having kids. Having kids does change your life. Anyone who says different is a lyin' fool. Your priorities and sleep shift, life is no longer the same. Parenting is hard. The newborn stage can be rough, at least it was for me.




HOWEVER....




That tiny human that you made from scratch will engulf your heart in a way that I can't even explain. Rowan has filled my heart with a joy I can't describe. For someone as selfish as me prior to her, I can't imagine life without her.




 Sure, its not like the movies. I didn't''t anticipate her early birth, the NICU stay was rough. I didn't anticipate I would have a very tough time in the beginning, and I MAJORLY had the baby blues. We have our good days, and our bad days. Her sicknesses have literally have made me almost have brain aneurysms.






HOWEVER...




this chubby, 22 pound human has captivated my heart and I haven't looked back since.






So, to my wonderful friend who is scared, trust me, it's worth it.














No comments:

Post a Comment