Monday, November 17, 2014

#worldprematurityday



Today is World Prematurity Day.

This day is not only important to our family, but a huge day for so many others.

Last night, I looked back at the blog and my posts about the hospital stay, her birth and NICU. After reading it, I peeked in on my sleeping babe and flooded with tears. This past April was the hardest, toughest month of our lives. It was filled with so much fear, uncertainty, and anger. I was very angry and bitter for a long time for how our situation played out and I felt it was unfair. I am thankful those feelings have gone away, because I truly see God's hand in our situation. While we STILL have no clue what caused her early birth, we have come such a long way since those tough NICU days. I am also so thankful Rowan was born at 34 instead of earlier. She had virtually no major health problems in NICU and for that, I am so thankful. I am also thankful for modern medicine, and for those amazing doctors and nurses who dedicate their lives to helping our tiny littles.

I remember holding my tiny baby in NICU and feeling so afraid of her. I was scared I would hurt her, I was always afraid something would be wrong. The first 2 months home were definitely tough. I was dealing with major baby blues and trying to understand my baby. However, with the grace of God, she has flourished and went from being a tiny 5.2 pounder to a solid chunky tank at 19 pounds. She is a sweet, happy girl, but man she is a SPITFIRE. She has a huge personality and is quite fiery. She was like that even in NICU!

Every night as I rock my baby to sleep, I always inhale her sweet scent and just stare her while she sleeps. During that time, I take a moment to thank God bringing us through those tough times and for my sweet baby. I am so grateful I get to be this baby's mama. Please, stand with us in support of preemies and their families worldwide. Premature births are on the rise and is now the world's number one cause of death in infants. If you feel compelled to support in any way, you can do so here.


Let's take a walk down memory lane

Her NICU and early days home:

My Rowan today:




No comments:

Post a Comment