Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Thanksgiving that landed us in the ER...


Wow, this blog has been big time neglected. It is about time I got back into it. Let's start with Thanksgiving, despite that it was well over 2 weeks ago, LOL!


I absolutely love the holidays, and I especially love Thanksgiving. The holidays take on a whole new  special meaning when there is a precious little human involved.

The weekend before Thanksgiving, we spent an AMAZING weekend with my family in the gold country, Angel's Camp. We stayed in our timeshare, and it was a cozy cabin feel. The whole weekend was awesome. However, I noticed that Rowan was doing a funky honk of a cough, which reminded me of geese honking. Nothing else was wrong, so we moved on.

Monday and Tuesday came and went, with the honking cough. On Tuesday, mom noticed she was the tiniest bit wheezy. However, due to no temp, and a cheerful baby, I let it go.
Wednesday, the honking cough was MUCH persistent and a little more barky. Then I got worried. We booked an appointment for that day.

Sure enough, the doctor was not a fan of that cough. She checked her lungs, oxygen, temp, that all checked out fine. She did notice wheezing. She told us croup may be coming. Gulp. So, she gave Rowan a breathing treatment, and a steroid shot.

Then the next day she got worse. She didn't have a fever, but the cough was super persistent. She seemed much fussier, which really isn't like her. I had already texted my sister in law that we may not come if she isn't well. She was concerned and was sad that Rowan possibly would not come. We let Rowan rest for as long as she wanted, and she didn't have a fever. So we took her.

By the time we got to my in-law family's home, she was wheezy again. I was on edge. Dinner had already started and everything just felt out of sorts. After awhile, we were able to relax and enjoy time with our family. However, that dang wheeziness wouldn't stop. And that's when I noticed something was wrong about 2 hours later. Her breathing got heavier, and through her shirt, I could see her chest working hard. I grabbed her and hubby, went into my nephew's room, and lifted up her onesie. Her chest was caving. Then she completely fell into hysterics and was starting to turn gray. With my entire in law family watching in horror, hubby and I tried to give her  abuterol to help, but it wasn't working. We grabbed our stuff and ran out the door. We jumped in the car and decided we couldn't drive back home to our ER, which was 40 minutes away. So we ended up going to Dameron, which is notorious for being a ghetto hospital. At this point, I didn't care.

We got checked in and got seen right away. Thankfully her oxygen was at 100%! The doctor did notice her chest, breathing treatments were given, a chest x-ray done (all clear, no pneumonia!). She was diagnosed with croup, and after 4 hours in the ER, Rowan was well enough to go home. The doctors and nurses were beyond incredible, kind and wonderful. It made me feel bad I had such a lousy attitude about that hospital. OF COURSE Rowan was the belle of ER. The staff couldn't get over her yummy chubbiness and kept saying how pretty she was. Of course this mama's heart felt so much pride!


We were completely shaken and traumatized. Hands down the worst Thanksgiving ever. It made me feel so grateful and thankful for my little family and modern medicine. Around 2 am, Rowan had an AWFUL coughing fit. It didn't sound human. We spent about 30 minutes bundled up outside. It was heartbreaking. That was just the start of our wild ride and it turns out she didn't have croup (more on that later). I think we will look back and laugh at this experience. I am disappointed it wasn't the Thanksgiving I wanted it to be. I have a tendency to build things up in my head. Especially with the holidays and now having a little human, I have this "Hallmark idea" of how everything should go and be. However, this experience taught me to not set up such crazy expectations and  to really remember the true meaning of the holidays.


More of this story to be continued. For now, let's enjoy some pictures:
Pics from left to right: Our first Thanksgiving!//Cuddles with my beauty!//she loves her cousin Kailynn//picture with her uncles and daddy//pic with uncles and cousins!!

And the drama...

From left to right: selfie with my worn out princess, before we noticed her breathing//receiving her treatment. One of many, this picture is hard for me to look at// trying to sleep in daddy's arms//finally got her to sleep for a little bit//after a successful breathing treatment, Rowan's trying to play with the bed (my germaphobe self is freaking out, lol)//daddy giving a thumbs up because we are clear to go

More on this story, to be continued!






No comments:

Post a Comment