Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Rowan's birth story

Hello friends! 



Well it's officially day 2 since we have been home! Baby is currently sleeping so I figured it is about freaking time I catch up on this blog.

This truly has been the most insane last few weeks of my life. Nothing went according to plan (haha) and my faith and endurance was tested beyond belief. I don't  think I have ever cried as much in my life as I have these last few weeks. To be honest, the only thing that has somewhat been great was my labor.


Yep I'm serious. 


My labor was pretty freaking awesome and I was glad, because I kinda sorta felt like I deserved it after all I went through, lol! I made it a point throughout the labor process to write notes in my phone so I wouldn't forget.


Friday, April 18th:
 8:45 am
The day before, Rowan had horrible decels, 3 to be exact. My anxiety was through the roof. Everyday I was told by the docs we would wait another 24 hours and see what will happen. I was already pissed at the thought they were going to come in and say this. Two doctors came in this time and explained because of yesterday's events, it was no longer safe for baby to stay in. I would be induced immediately. Pitocin would start at 10 am. I was warned my labor could take up to 3 days. Gulp. They really wanted me to try a vaginal delivery rather than c-section. They also warned me that more than likely, the minute she was born, she would have to whisked away to NICU. That broke my heart, as this isn't how I thought labor would be. However, whatever would keep my daughter safe I was willing to do. After everything,  I was shocked out of my skull. Sheer joy, panic, fear and elation set in. I immediately call Shannon and my family. 


9-3 pm- my pitocin was held back due to other emergency c-sections. Rachel, my favorite nurse, takes one last belly pic. I shower, and do my make up.  I take a few moments with my beautiful bump to say "goodbye". My family brings a togo's sandwich and I chow down! I try to eat throughout the day. Once the epidural was in, I wouldn't be able to eat.


3:45 pitocin is started. I'm dilated at a 2. I was told pain is progress as it shows labor is progressing. They put a balloon catheter in my cervix to open it up. Was told it could take hours for my body to accept it. My body was done with it after an hour. I was dilated at a 3. Guess my body was ready! 



3:45 pm to Saturday, April 19th at 1 am
Pitocin is increased every few hours. We eat, laugh, try to stay relaxed. We watched The Hangover. I feel NOTHING. For real. No pain and I was actually getting mad, since "pain is progress". The nurses and my doctor are shocked. At 12:30 am I was at 4 cm. Dr. Lo said she would break my water between 2:30-3 am. I was told I better get my epidural if I wanted it before she did this. 


2:30 am- still feel nothing, except very slight back cramps. Andy the anestiologist comes in. We chat, sign a form and he preps me. I'm terrified I will move as he is putting it in. He administers it and we are good. However, it doesn't kick in right away and I am freaking out. I get cleaned down there for prep of breaking my water and it hurt! The nurse looks concerned and turns me to my side. At this point I'm officially 5 cm dilated. 


3:00 am
My epi kicks in and it feels fan-freaking-tastic. I love it! Honestly, I don't get why women get all pissy and self righteous about epidurals. I love it and I think I am going to dedicate a post about it, LOL!!!!! Dr. Lo then comes in  breaks my water. It was the loudest splash sound and it was so weird! Things progress fast as I jump from a 5 to 8 within the hour. No joke. I sleep peacefully till about 6 am.




6 am
Dilated to a 9, and feeling fantastic! Our families are called. 6:45 I'm now dilated to a 10 and it's time to push. My mom and sister arrive and give hugs and kisses before going to the waiting room. Dr. Lo comes in. Emily my sweet and kind nurse explains how I should push, like I'm pooping lol! I am getting excited and terrified at the same time. Shannon is right by my side, and he is so excited.



6:50-7:22
I start to push! Holy crap it's so exhausting! I'm being encouraged that I am doing it right. Still don't feel jack. I start to feel so worn out and I sympathize how women push for hours, it's hard! The put a mirror so I could see my progress. I could now see Rowan's head! I give one final and hard push. The doctor yelled "slow down!" Lol but I couldn't help it! Rowan is out! This moment was the most surreal, most beautiful moment.

7:22
I watch them pull out the beautiful, amazing little girl that I baked from scratch. She lets out the most beautiful cry and  I immediately start hysterically wailing. I kept saying "I love you, you are beautiful, hi baby". I'm crying so hard.  I look at hubs who is crying as he is taking pictures.  Instead of rushing her to the NICU crib that was in the room, they placed her on my belly. I was forever thankful for that moment. I didn't think I would even get a moment with her. I feel so grateful for that. I reach to touch her sweet, warm body and I can't handle it. I couldn't believe that I just birthed this gorgeous human.

7:35
I am being sewn up (yes, my worst nightmare, I tore! I think its because I pushed too fast) and Rowan is being tended to by the NICU team and daddy. Everything is going great! She is cleaned up, weighed, measured, and didn't require oxygen, but they put it on her anyway. My baby is 5 pounds, 2 oz, which is great for 34 weeks! She is 18 1/4 inches long.  


7:40
Again, grateful to the team because they brought her over to me. I was able to take a quick picture, give her some kisses and she is taken away, with daddy following. I honestly thought I would fall apart but because I was so excited, I couldn't feel sad. My mom and sister come in to congratulate me. I eat but I can barely eat because I am running on sheer adrenaline.


8:45
I am able to go and visit the girl. Honestly it was hard to see her in the crib. She lets out the saddest cry (nothing was wrong) and the hormones kick in. I start hysterically crying, lol!


Then, as the story goes, we spend an emotional 2 weeks in NICU with lots of ups and downs. Our experience is another post in itself.  


I am so thankful for my labor. It was beautiful and a truly wonderful experience. I am so thankful Rowan did so well. I remember in the good ol' days before this all happened, I was so petrified about labor. However, it was the most incredible thing I have ever endured and I felt so proud of myself as a woman that I did this amazing thing. For my current first timers, I hope you can be encouraged! My labor was great!

Here are some pics documenting our journey:








1. Enjoying lunch!//2. dialated to a 5 and in no pain! 3. trying to stay hydrated 4. not sure what was going on, but clearly feeling fine if I'm giving a thumbs  up, LOL!!!!

1. our chalkboard! I love the team I worked with// 2. Dilated to a 10! Amazed at how well it's all going!// 3. baby us born! AHHHH!!!!! I am just beside myself! 4. Looking at the precious human that I just birthed.


 
1.Daddy cutting the umbilical cord// 2-3. Rowan is getting cleaned up.//4. Getting weighed!


1. Holding hands with her father. Ah, I just can't //2. Forever grateful for the moments I get with her before NICU//3. My sweet, chubby girl! For being a preemie, she is a great size!// 4. Our first family picture! Not how I envisioned it would be, but at the end of the day, my girl was safe and that's all that mattered!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful beautiful BEAUTIFUL friend! Love you all so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you darling!!!!!!! I can't wait when it's your turn!!! I can't wait for our girls to play together!!!!

      Delete